We sat down with them and worked out the scope and required functionality of the project. We had regular meetings with our customer and their manufacturer, creating a collaborative approach from the start.
We quickly established through our networks that, due to the volumes needed, sourcing the exact part would not be possible due to the global chip shortages.
By looking at their specifications, volume requirements, and statements we concluded that there were alternative options for their missing components if we could source them. Through extensive research we found replacement parts which offered the functionalities and technology required using a new supplier who could provide the parts within the desired timeframe. We collected formal quotations for the parts and required drops. Most importantly we worked proactively and collaboratively throughout the project to make sure all parties stayed informed.
We took on an extra project management role to minimise the risks associated with the current supply chain situation, and create a concrete product development plan to meet their tight deadlines and maintain bill costs with manufacturers. After discussing with them further they decided that a redesign was preferrable to create optimum profit margins for their project.
As we secured the procurement of parts, we released an early BoM (Bill Of Materials) to ensure commitment from the supply chain. This is an important step before redesign. We need to be adaptable and flexible in the way we work particularly now.
We took the redesign a step further by uncovering value engineering potential which resulted with the implementation of a successful cost reduction strategy.